Sustainable Jersey has contacted AIA-NJ to see if there would be interest in filling some openings on their Task Force. Here is some information about the program.
Sustainable Jersey is supported by 24 issue-based Task Forces (TFs) that help maintain the integrity and substance of the certification program. Over 300 leaders in New Jersey volunteer to serve on the Sustainable Jersey Task Forces from academia, the non-profit sector, the business community, and state, local, federal, and county government. The Task Forces research and disseminate best practices, translate global and state imperatives into local actions, test sustainability planning models and develop community resources for the program.
For More Information on Sustainable Jersey Task Forces: http://www.sustainablejersey.com/about/task-forces/
Specifically to Green Design:
• Typically the Green Design TF meet about 2 times a year. These meetings can be scheduled when/ where/ how it is most convenient for the members to meet. They typically are about 2 hours long.
• The expected products from a TF are “Actions” that are then Incorporated into the Sustainable Jersey Certification Program. All actions are listed here: http://www.sustainablejersey.com/actions-certification/actions/.
List of Current Green Design Actions:
Green Building Policy/Resolution – 5 Points
Green Building Training – 5 Points
Green Building Education – 5 Points
Commercial and Residential Buildings
- Create a Green Development Checklist – 10 Points
- Site Plan Green Design Standards – 20 Points
Green Design Municipal Buildings
- New Construction – 20 Points
- Existing Buildings – Construction Waste Recycling – 10 Points
- Existing Buildings – Upgrade/Retrofit-Light Pollution – 10 Points
- Existing Buildings – Upgrade/Retrofit-Water Conservation – 10 Points
• After actions are added into the program, TF’s are then charged with developing training and outreach to provide support to municipalities that are looking to receive points for that action. Participants take feedback from municipalities on proposed actions and then revise the actions accordingly on annual cycle.
If anyone is interested in being a part of the Sustainable Jersey Green Design Task Force please contact:
Athena Sarafides, LEED AP
Sustainability and Green Energy
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
Tel: (609) 777-4211
Fax: (609) 292-1921