COMMUNITY ROCKS! THE BLOCKS – RV
AIA‐West Jersey is offering Emerging Professionals the opportunity to design a mobile music, art studio and community outreach vehicle. AIA‐West Jersey has partnered with Community Rocks!, a non‐profit organization established to educate, strengthen and connect communities through arts and wellness programs, partnerships and relief work.
What is Community Rocks! the Blocks?
Based in Oaklyn, NJ, this program provides relief supplies to neighbors in need. Throughout the year the program collects, sorts and deliver supplies to various relief centers, churches, community spaces, individuals and families. Now, there is a plan to expand the program. The Community Rocks! RV will tour Camden, Camden County & Burlington County providing music, art and exercise programs to children, neighborhoods and community centers in need.
This is where AIA‐WJ joins the effort.
The RV is retro‐chic from the 1980s, but needs significant upgrades to achieve the following programmatic needs. This is the focus the competition:
- Art Studio / Classroom inside the RV for up to 8 children.
- Music Classroom inside the RV for up to 8 children.
- “Hang‐Out” Space for up to 4 children.
- Mobile Stage / Sound System with Speaker Hook‐up Outside the RV.
- Flexible Signage System on RV exterior.
- Storage of tents, art supplies, and equipment.
- Retain sink and toilet functions.
- Child generated art piece for interior or exterior of RV.
- Storage of goods and supplies to be delivered to local charities.
Safety, Health and Welfare
Safety of the occupants is paramount. The RV will be used to educate, stimulate and uplift children in underserved communities. This can only be achieved in safe environment. The RV will serve the children while parked, no programming will take place while the RV is in motion.
- Use of Community Rocks! Colors: Pink, Brown, Green and Yellow. (See Logo)
- Paint Exterior of RV – Pink Base Coat
- Display boards 30×40 inches depicting proposed designs.
BreastFest – The Tyanna Foundation
Sara O’Brien, Founder and Director of Community Rocks!, along with her sisters, also founded The Tyanna Foundation, which works to increase awareness and generate money for breast cancer research, services, education, treatment and patient care for local breast cancer patients and survivors. The major fundraiser for the foundation is BreastFest, a fun filled festival for the entire family offering food, drink, activities and live entertainment. To date the foundation has raised over $1,000,000 through events held in 5 different states.
Entries due to AIA‐West Jersey, Monday, June 2, 2014.
All entries will be displayed in front of the RV at BreastFest New Jersey, on June 7th, 2014, behind The Taproom and Grill in Haddon Township. Community Rocks! and The Tyanna Foundation board members and the general public will be given the opportunity to comment on the designs and ultimately select a winner.
If you are interested please contact Mark Barone, AIA by the end of business, Wednesday, May 21, 2014. Thank you.